World View of Visitors

Monday, April 6, 2009

Food Storage

Food storage is critical to survive when we lose jobs, other sources of income, or are too ill to work. There are plenty of us who are one or two paychecks away from living on the street. Saving money is critical, but so is saving food, as it is a resource that will save us even if we can't get to the store.

I store red winter wheat and use my Vitamix blender to make wheat flour. If you don't have or don't want to have a wheat grinder, I highly recommend using the Vitamix. It's expensive, but I like the fact it does more than blend drinks.

I also store nonfat dry milk, beans, white flour, sugar, honey, and more. If you set your mind to it, you can do it too. More on this later!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Where do you get the Vitamix mixer? We have about 5 cans of wheat from my husband's past cannery trips, and also have 6 or so from our last trip...of course it never occurred to me that it had to be ground down, so now we are looking for something like that before it gets to be too late...please let me know!