World View of Visitors

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Wonder Oven (Box)


A few weeks ago El and I went to a class where we learned to sew up a handy little item called a "Wonder Oven"...also called a "Wonder Box".

It's made by putting styrene pellets into two bean bag type pillows, cooking something to boiling temperature for a certain length of time, and then putting it quickly inbetween the two bags to cook for another few hours without using any heat source.

El and I put it together without any problem, although the styrene wanted to float up walls (pretty funny!) and in general get out of control. My husband helped clean up the floor (we stuffed the bags at home). Today I tried it for the first time, using it to make bread.

It didn't work all that great for the bread, but I also used 1) a different container, and 2) changed my recipe such that the "regular oven" baked loaf was a bit dry. Not sure if either item had anything to do with anything, but I will definitely use it for other things.

Supposedly you can cook stews, chicken, rice and all kinds of things. More later!

8 comments:

Tiffany W said...

Interesting. You will have to let me know how this works...

rubykins02 said...

I want to make one of these but the instruction seem a little odd. Did you have any problem figuring out how to sew this together?

Ldswoman said...

Don't let it worry you too much. Basically you are taking about 3 yards of denium or other medium heavy fabric and making two fluffy pillows, one almost twice as large as the other. In the pattern I used, it was kind of diamond shaped.

Jill said...

Where do you find the pattern and instructions for use online?

bonnie said...

Where would you find the styrene and would styform packing materail work?

Anonymous said...

I am interested in making one of these, but can't find a pattern. Where can I get one?

Anonymous said...

I am interested in finding a pattern to make these wonder ovens & more info on them?

Anonymous said...

Here is the link to a pattern

http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wonderbox/