World View of Visitors

Friday, July 31, 2009

Planting a Garden Wherever we Can

The following article is from my friend Stephen's webpage:

Counsel Me Not...

Posted: 30 Jul 2009 11:20 PM PDT


When experienced gardeners come to my home...they are often surprised to see how various food plants are tucked away in less than ideal places. For example...they might see a sun loving tomato plant growing under the partial shade of a tree. Then they either bite their lip for fear of offending...or they say "That really isn't a good place to plant a tomato plant...it needs more sun".


What they may not understand is that I operate under the belief that food plants don't have to be placed just in neat little rows in a garden plot...but can...and more than likely should find homes wherever they can grow...even if that means planting in unconventional places. After a garden plot is exhausted of space...the creative gardener can look for space to stash extra plants. While in some of these places the soil types may not be the greatest...or the light may not be ideal for the plant to reach it's full potential...they CAN still grow and feed your family!! And this...on land that may lay barren otherwise...or filled by ornamental plants without food value.


My methods of planting are largely motived by the words of the prophet Spencer W. Kimball who said to...“...grow all the food that you feasibly can on your own property."


Do you think that if harder times are thrust upon us that you are going to wish you had more grass to mow...or do you think you would you prefer fresh vegetables!?



If you are to go down the path of purposefully growing food plants on poor spots of ground...you may need to be prepared to defend your actions in conversations akin to that of the master of the vineyard in Jacob chapter 5...


21 And it came to pass that the servant said unto his master: How comest thou hither to plant this tree, or this branch of the tree? For behold, it was the poorest spot in all the land of thy vineyard.
22 And the Lord of the vineyard said unto him: Counsel me not; I knew that it was a poor spot of ground; wherefore, I said unto thee, I have nourished it this long time, and thou beholdest that it hath brought forth much fruit.


Perhaps you could respond with those same words! "Counsel me not!..." One key that is found in verse 22 is that even though the master planted on poor ground...and did reap fruit...it wasn't done without "Nourishing it this long time". A plant placed in a less than ideal place may need some compost...additional watering...or some other special care to better it's chances of survival. There is also wisdom in only planting as many as you can actually take care of. No use planting if you are unable to tend what you plant!


This next week I will start some flats indoors of various members of the Brassica family (Broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) How many seeds will I plant? I will do a lot more than I think I can use on my property. When they have grown I will be motivated by the sheer number of the seedlings to be creative and find places for them. If by chance I run out of places...my extended family and friends will receive some seedlings to plant! This a great way to maximize ones use of space for gardening...and help out some other people too.


With some care the "poor spot" gardener may bring forth "much fruit"...perhaps more than ever before.


No comments: