World View of Visitors

Friday, August 21, 2009

August Continues

August continues on with hot weather in the Sacramento area. My tomatoes look tired and stressed from the heat, and no doubt a bit from me pulling off branches early on. I thought I was doing the plants a favor, but with this heat, now I'm not so sure. I also plan on growing heirlooms next year, other than all hybrids.

Meanwhile, tomorrow I will at the farmer's market early to pick up berries to make more berry jam. It turned out so fantastic last time that I am anxious to repeat it for Christmas gifts this year.

Early in September, in a couple weeks, I plan on making room for lettuce and peas for some cold weather crops. I have never done this before, so it will definitely be an experiment. My intention is to always have something planted so I can know what it would be like to live off the land year round.

No comments: