World View of Visitors

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Second Planter Box

I planted some of the two boxes today.  I put in a couple tomato plants (the ones I am growing inside the house are nowhere near ready), winter squash, zucchini, radishes, pole beans, green and multi colored bell peppers, cabbage, lettuce, beets, carrots, peas, cucumber...

To keep the cat out of it, I put down Weed X, a double fabric/black plastic product that is "tied down".  The problem is that there are things I could plant, like radishes, where instead of planting the whole square, I am reduced to planting a strip through the Weed X because if I give the cat a whole square it will become his potty.

I have also been spraying vinegar on the plastic.

If none of these help and he is still very much using the boxes as his toilet, I'll lhave to break down and buy the automatic sprinkler thingie.  It's expensive, but if it works it would be worth it.

At any rate, I planted some hybrids, but tried to stick with non-hybrids as I'd like to glean the seeds this year for them.  Next week I'm going to get a growlight set up in the garage for the rest of the tomatoes and maybe  cantelope.

Many more things to plant, but it's a start.

No comments: