World View of Visitors

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pressure Canning Spaghetti Sauce

Yesterday I pressure canned for the first time, making homemade spaghetti meat sauce.  It's awesome! It went very well.  My electric Maytag range burner did very well...and I just stood there and adjusted the temperature often until it settled in.  I made sure it never went below 10 pounds (and in fact kept pretty much at 13 pounds) for 75 minutes as required by the Blue Preserving Book for spaghetti sauce.  Tomorrow we'll have spaghetti but I'm using what's left from the process instead of opening up a newly canned jar.

But I'm so excited.  Chicken breasts are next.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Pam, that's so wonderful that you've finally joined the group of pressure canners!! WOO HOO!! And I'm so glad it went so well for you! Mmm, that spaghetti sauce looks good!

Cherish said...

I love love love canned chicken breasts. They make the best chicken salad sandwiches but are also awesome for casseroles, soups, chili, you name it!

Bill Bird said...

Canned sauces are AWESOME. They're especially good in the dead of winter!

Bill Bird said...

Home-Canned sauces are awesome -- especially in the dead of winter!!!