World View of Visitors

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wheat Flake Granola

I flaked up some wheat (using my flaker, found here: Flaker  and put it in a granola bar recipe that called for oats. I used half oats (1 cup) and half wheat (1 cup), and instead of using 1/2 cup of wheat flour, I used white. It turned out great. It would taste great with wheat flour too, but my husband doesn't love wheat like I do.

Oatmeal Wheat Flake Granola Bars


1/2 cup wheat or white flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs or 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites, or dried reconstituted equivalant of 2 eggs
2 Tbl molasses
1/3 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbl canola oil or butter or 2 tsp dried butter with 1 T oil or water
1 cup oats
1 cup wheat flakes (or oats, or forego the oats and just use wheat flakes)
1 cup dried fruit (I used dried cherries and cranberries)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or almonds

(you can also add some chocolate chips, but I didn't)

Preheat oven to 3530. Coat 9 x 13 baking pan with nonstick spray.

Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt (use a whisk). Mix peanut butter, brown sugar, eggs, molasses, h oney, vanilla and oil until smooth, add to flour mixture.

Mix really well, then add oats/wheat flakes, fruit and nuts. Plop into the 9 x 13 baking pan (I used a Pyrex 9 x 13 casserole), smooth out evenly using some plastic wrap on your fingers to push it down.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes. You want them to be evenly, lightly browned. Put a knife blade into the middle to see if it's moist but not wet. Let cool a bit, then cut into squares and finish cooling.

If you can wait until they are cool they are better than eating fresh out of the pan!

No comments: