World View of Visitors

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Make your own Laundry Detergent

My friend Amanda just posted on her daughter's blog that she made her own laundry detergent, so of course I have to post my version. :) I printed this out long ago on an emergency newsletter that I publish at church.

It works beautifully and I use it all the time....so cheap!

WHAT YOU NEED:
1 bar of soap, your preference. Fels Naptha, is commonly used, or Ivory or another plain pure soap.  I have used Fels Naptha but now I use Pure and Natural bar soap.

2 cups of washing soda (not baking soda... (Wal-Mart and Winco)
2 cups of borax
¼ cup Oxy-Clean powder

HOW TO MAKE IT:

Use a cheese grater to grate up the bar of soap.
In a large container with a sealable lid, mix together the grated soap and borax, then ..
Add in the washing soda and oxy-clean
Put the lid on the container, and shake the container to mix the contents well.
When you do laundry, use about 1/4 cup, or if your machine is a front loading type, just use a heaping tablespoon.

Found at: http://myblessedhome.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

kdonat said...

Rather than grating the bar of soap, place it in a heat-proof bowl or casserole dish and microwave it on High in 1 minute increments until it puffs up. Watch closely as you don't want to over cook it. Mine took about 2 minutes total. Allow it to cool down and you will be able to crush it into a fine powder quite easily. Much easier than grating it.