World View of Visitors

Monday, June 27, 2011

Pasteurize Your Own Eggs

I had heard not to dedhyrate your own eggs because of salmonella.  It was said that only large companies could spray dry and heat the eggs such that the bad bugs were eliminated.

 
Not true!
 
On the USDA webpage:


To pasteurize your own eggs, stir together eggs and either 1⁄4 cup sugar, water or other liquid from the recipe in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture reaches 160°F. These eggs can be safely used in recipes and require no further cooking.

When I make my dried eggs, I put a little water in them and scramble them before drying.  Works great!  You will notice that the USDA does not say how many eggs to the ratio of sugar or water, so I add about 1 Tbl. per six eggs.

No comments: