World View of Visitors

Friday, June 1, 2012

Gardening for Spring

Gardening for Spring starts early in California.  I usually have everything planted, from lettuce to green beans, by the middle of March.  This year it was a little later, but still some things are past their prime and I removed them.  The potatoes are harvested, the two different lettuces are now pulled out and gone.  I went to Capital Nursery and bought more lettuce and spinach and they are planted.  The tomatoes are doing great, the green beans, cantelope and cucumbers are starting up nicely, and the chard still is doing very well.  The herbs are taking over the planet, but the bell peppers are their usual sluggish self.


My garden isn't helped by the fact it's been very very mild weather here up until today, when it reached 98 degrees F.

The photos show: (top) from left, an oak tree that we are keeping less than 7 feet tall, in the back, a kumquat bush, and a peach tree.In front of the box is an apricot tree, and out of vision on the right of it is a pear and apple tree.  Two lemons are in the back and a lime and orange on the unseen left.  In the box: peas, tomatoes, chard, zucchini, green beans and more tomatoes. Far back is an artichoke bush.

Bottom photograph: left box, fava beans, then just planted some lettuce, then tomato, then more spinach and lettuce and tomatoes.  Box on the right, herbs, cantelope, cabbage, chard, etc.

Gardening is more than a pass-time or hobby for me. It is a way to feed my husband and myself without having to go to the grocery store, or wonder about the pesticides and herbicides used.  I use fertilizer once or twice a year, but that's it.  In the spring and fall, and some of winter, I have fresh lettuce available any day that I choose, usually 3 times a week or so.  Potatoes are usually growing as well.  Spinach and chard are the other ones we use.  In the summer, a bevy of tomatoes, tons of zucchini, cabbage and more are offered in our garden boxes.  I don't know the actual cost savings because there is the cost of seeds, water, etc., but it doesn't matter.  To me, there is food stored (usually dried, but some canned) and then there is the need for fresh, and a home garden is the way to go.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Your garden is so absolutely beautiful. I'm so jealous that we can't have all the fruit trees here. Our garden is starting off sad because we put too much compost, and so the acidity is high. I can't wait until we have a luscious garden like you, with trees that will stand the winter and bear fruit in the spring/summer. I miss you friend. Keep posting lots of pictures of the garden and your food storage activities :)

The Tiny Twins said...

Your garden is just beautiful. It is so hot here- weeds die!
I love your testimony, thanks for sharing it.